Angela Brickley is the founder and voice behind Luv Angela Marie, a blog and photography studio where she explores her photography business, style, and her lifestyle. I had been following Angela for about a year on Instagram and If you know me, then you know that I am a sucker for a woman who is a boss and looks flawless while doing it. During the course of the year, I watched Angela’s glamorous photos consistently drop down my timeline and every day it got better. As I followed her photos on Instagram I eventually started following her blog where she shows us the chronicles of who she is, as she shares her personal style, beauty tips, her latest fashion obsessions, travel adventures, and of course her photography. She was the girl who turned her lifestyle/photography blog into a business. Angela spent her weekends after her normal 9-5 with a camera and a tripod trying to get more experience doing what she loved. As a self-taught photographer with the help of youtube, some online training classes, and a lot of trial and error in 2 years, she was able to make her dreams come true. There is nothing more inspiring than a woman going for it and living the life that she chooses. She proves that you can make an income doing what you love, and you can truly bring your vision to fruition.
Angela gives us exclusive insider on who she is as a woman, what inspired her to make her dreams into a reality, photography tips, and of course style tips to encourage every girl to keep working towards their goals, and look fabulous while doing it! Just a couple of days ago I finally had a chance to sit down with Angela, and here is what we talked about:
1. Tell us about yourself and what’s “Luv Angela Marie” the brand?
Outside of my brand Luv Angela Marie, I am a woman that is passionate about helping other young female influencers and entrepreneurs shine and try to do my best to give as much advice as I can when others have a dream that they want to turn into reality. In my personal life, I love spending time with my other half and traveling the world and most importantly spending quality time with my family and friends when I am not juggling a busy schedule.
2. What inspired you to get into photography?
Photography found me when I started blogging in 2014. I was that girl taking classes and watching YouTube videos on photography and on my weekends I would take my own pictures with a tripod and self-timer until I learned the ins and outs of the camera and natural lighting, that is when I started receiving emails from other bloggers in Houston asking who was my photographer. After all the inquiries, I turned my hobby into a business, within two years after blogging.
3. When did you know that it was the right time to turn your side hustle into a business?
Well… since I was already taking my own photos and I taking photos of my friends, I put together a business plan and really went full fledge into a business.
4. What are 3 photography hacks you would give a beginner?
- Learn the fundamentals of photography first. You can find so much information on YouTube.
- Study the lighting. If you want to get into natural light photography, then shoot in manual and play around with the settings based on the lighting.
- Invest in nice lenses. I use Canon and Sony cameras and I always try to upgrade my lenses as technology changes so fast.
5. How does style influence you as a woman in photography?
Fashion and style is how I got into photography and what really inspires me when I shoot myself or shoot other bloggers is sending a fashion mood board with a few street styles looks with poses.
6. What are your top 5 brands to wear?
I like to mix and match high-end with high street fashion:
- Kiss Runway Boutique (sisters boutique)
- Nasty Gal
Be very consistent with your theme.
7. What can you teach us about creating a cohesive attention-grabbing page?
Be very consistent with your theme. If you have fun vibrant colors on your page, don’t add a muted picture in between. My theme on my page is golden brown tones and I try to edit all my pics with the same pre-set filter.
8. What is your biggest customer success story that reminds you of why you do what you do?
My biggest customer success story is when I photographed one of my clients for her and her boyfriend’s graduation and her mother was in tears when she received the final edits. And now I became their family photographer and will be their wedding photographer as well.
Some people don’t see the value
in the prices.
9. Have you faced any challenges as a woman in the photography industry?
Yes, some people don’t see the value in the prices. They think it is just picking up a camera and just shooting. There is a lot of work that goes into delivering the final product, and if you are passionate about what you do then you will share the value without trying to oversell to someone.
10. What has been your biggest failure on the journey to becoming Angela 2.0?
Haha, Angela 2.0 was a time in my life that I was going through a lot in my personal life and it was time for me to take care of me and that meant my mind, body, and soul and I did. My body transformed, my attitude and my mind just matured into the woman I am today. The best is yet to come when you put yourself first.
11. Who are some women that inspire you in your industry?
That is hard. I am inspired every day by someone new that I see walking down the street and owning her entire look, to the next up and coming blogger on Instagram.
12. Where do you see yourself and your business in the next couple of years?
As my photography business continues to grow, I would like to add a team to help operate the day-to-day. For my blog, I have some exciting news that I will be releasing soon, so the blog may not be here but something else better will be on the horizon. I am excited that I turned my hobby into a business and it blossoms every year.
Drop a comment below and let me know what you think!